Every now and then something happens in England that just screams, "Dorothy you're NOT in Kansas anymore."
Last night was the annual Eurovision Song Contest, which for my American readers, is a song contest between the European countries. Basically American Idol for Europe. What is thought of as "cool" in this contest would pretty much be defined as strange / Euro trash by Americans.
I wanted to share some of my personal highlights from the contest with you...
Spain - Curly haired man resembling Richard Simmons singing what I think is a love song, with lots of clowns dancing around him.
Belgium - Very cute boy with a guitar, singing about hanging out with his guitar, in bad English lyrics.
Serbia - Blonde guy with a bowl cut, looked like more of a Queen than Elton John, wearing a sequined blue suit jacket with tails and singing "I'm SO naughty. We kiss three times here!"
Belarus - Women in long sequined dresses glittering like the sun suddenly sprout MASSIVE butterfly wings while singing, "And we're like butterflies flying to the sun" Talk about a literal translation.
Ireland - Busty red head singing Irish words of wisdom. So cliche.
Greece - Very tan man wearing all white and glowing like a resurrected Jesus... If only JC sang Greek dance songs.
Britain - Typical posh and reserved Brits. Even the back up dancers were wearing ties.
Georgia - Bare chested men in sailor outfits with guido facial hair dance around nice looking girl.
Turkey - Is it rap? rock? techno? I don't know. But I did enjoy when a robotic girl cut her robot arm off with a power saw. Though I'm still wondering... why?
Iceland - Fat woman in a moo moo singing dance number and not dancing very well.
France - Black version of Ricky Martin. Lots of "Allez Allez Allez" And you thought no one was inclined to hurry in France...
Russia - Sad emo boy band... Favorite lyric - "What are you doing man?" "Looking at her photos. What should I do with them?" "Through them into the fire." The fire, really? Gosh get over her already you little emo russians.
Armenia - Jasmin singing about an APRICOT STONE (wtf?) while Aladdin intimately dances with a water jug around her.
And finally we have the winners.... Germany!!!
My favorite lyric was "I even bought new underwear - light blue. And I wore it just the other day." I thought it was strange that she was wearing her partner's underwear, but then it finally dawned on me.... she bought lingerie for herself. Duh!
so funny that you post this because some swiss people were just trying to explain this to me last night!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree ! Haven't see them all, but the French one was so bad !!
ReplyDeleteI liked the spanish guy, he song was nice and the ballerina and clowns were beautiful !
Have you seen the danish guys ???? Eurk !!! And turkish ! OMG !!
Every year, I read on the newspaper "oh we lost Eurovision contest, again" I'm not surprised !!
I liked the german girl, her song was nice, but, didn't pay attention to her lyrics ... My english is not so good !
So, I guess that you spent a nice night, like me, watching that "thing" ?!
xx