Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Mousse and Chocolate Ganache

WARNING - If you are on a diet, or even thinking about going on a diet you should not read this post.  The following recipe is calorie laden and may contribute multiple inches to your thighs and gut area.  If you suffer from poor will power, turn back now before this becomes a problem.


OK, glad I cleared that up.  Today is Nick's birthday!  He is at the ripe old age of 27.  Even though we are married this is actually the first birthday I have ever spent with him.  So needless to say I pulled out all the stops. No corners were cut, and calories were left to enrich the cupcakes in full force.  I used whole milk, cream and butter.  Nick requested something chocolately and fruity, and I found a fabulous looking recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes - there's even a video showing how to make them.  I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, except they used jumbo sized cupcake tins, and we only had regular sized ones.  Also, it took me a lot longer than the 9 minutes the woman in the video took to whip them up.  While these cupcakes look intimidating, they actually weren't difficult at all - just a bit time consuming.  Give yourself a good 3 hours if you plan on making them.


Ingredients


Cupcake Batter


Dry Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 8 oz (2 sticks butter) room temperature
Wet Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 6 oz whole milk
  • 2 oz corn syrup (aka golden syrup in England)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
Chocolate Ganache
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate
  • 6 oz heavy cream
Raspberry Mousse
  • 1 cup raspberry jam (note: The recipe suggests you can make jam from scratch, but because the last time I attempted to make jam I completely failed and ended up with blistered fingers, I opted to just buy jam.  I used Bonne Maman Raspberry Jam and it worked like a charm)
  • 12 oz cold heavy cream
Garnishes
  • Fresh raspberries
  • powdered sugar
How to Make Cupcakes:

Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.

Start off by sifting 1 3/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup cocoa powder, into a large mixing bowl.

In another bowl, whisk together 4 large eggs, 6 oz whole milk, 2 oz corn syrup, and 1 tbsp vanilla.


In the bowl of dry ingredients, add 2 sticks of butter, and 1/2 the wet ingredients.  With an electric mixer, beat  ingredients slowly and increase to medium, beating for four minutes.  Next add 1/2 of the remaining wet ingredients, and beat on medium for two minutes.  Then add the last of the wet ingredients, beating for an additional 2 minutes.


Line your cupcake pan with paper liners (these really help to hold it together in the end) and fill with batter.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, ours took exactly 27.

Meanwhile, while your cupcakes are baking, make your raspberry mousse.  In a cold bowl (apparently this helps, I don't know why but I stuck mine in the freezer for a little bit) pour 12 oz heavy cream and beat into whipped cream.  Fold in one cup of raspberry jam.  Be careful not to over mix.


To make the chocolate ganache, boil water in a pot, and place a bowl on top of pot, being sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl.  Add 6 oz heavy cream and 6 oz semisweet chocolate to the bowl, and heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring to mix it all together.


At this point, your cupcakes will probably be done.   Once they're cooled cut a circular opening into the cupcake - I used a shot glass to make the hole, and then scooped it out with a teaspoon.


Next, add a heaping teaspoon of chocolate ganache into the opening.  Then add 2 raspberries (make sure you put the ugly ones on the inside) and a big spoonful of the raspberry mousse.  Place the caps back on top, drizzling with ganache, and placing a raspberry on top.  Sift a bit of powdered sugar on top to make it look pretty and you're done!


You know, I'm not one to brag, but these were seriously the best cupcakes I have ever tasted.  The raspberry filling is to die for, and provides a perfect tangy contrast to the bitter dark chocolate. Nick really liked them!


And so did his gorgeous colleagues, Jenny and Jenny!


Do yourself a favor and make these ASAP.  If you make them for someone, they'll love you forever, guaranteed.

Happy 27th Birthday Nick!  

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I love your warning at the top. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed this to Armein from Freida's -He said VERY NICE!!!
    I know he was very impressed so take that as a huge compliment!!
    He said you whipped your mousse perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers